I was talking with a friend a couple of days ago, and he mentioned how much he hated the Iraq War. By his way of seeing things, nothing could justify the loss of young American lives over there. It’s an old stance that I’ve heard from other friends before. Often I don’t get to respond, because people “don’t want to get into politics” even though they’ve spelled out their misguided beliefs. Well, all you guys started this discussion, and at last I get to have my say… Here’s why we were right to go to war with Iraq:
- Saddam did have WMDs. But hey, what’s 550 tons of enrichable uranium between friends? (Forget about enriching it! Just make terror warheads and launch them into Israel… You’ll volunteer for the cleanup team right?) And then there’s the tiny issue of Saddam being just 12 to 18 months away from a nuke once the UN inspectors stopped meddling in this “non-issue”. And Saddam’s head nuclear scientist even wrote a book about his work.
- Saddam was a genocidal maniac who used WMDs against his own people.
- Think of Saddam giving the raspberry to 17 UN resolutions.
- Hussein started a war with Iran that cost roughly 250,000 casualties and achieved nothing. (He used WMDs there too.) Yeah, he was a swell influence in a very volatile region .
- The Butcher of Baghdad tried to kill the President of the United States. (Bush Senior)
- If you think he didn’t bury stuff out in the desert, you obviously haven’t seen this picture.
- Iraq routinely tried to kill American pilots as they patrolled the “No-Fly Zone“. (All we were trying to do was stop the butcher from slaughtering the Kurds in the north.)
- Saddam brutally raped Kuwait. (If you don’t know the details on that one… You’re way out of the loop.)
- And then there’s the little issue of his barbaric environmental terrorism which caused global repercussions.
- His successors (sons) were perhaps more savage than he was. (How is that even possible?)
- He harbored terrorists including Abu Nidal.
- He funded terrorism against our ally Israel.
But tell you what my liberal friends… Take all of the above barbarism, psychotic lust for power, regional and global destabilization, and just throw it all right out the window. Forget about terrorists. Forget about scuds lobbed into Israel…. Forget all that stuff…
If for no other reason, the fact that the war in Iraq is just is explained by two simple things – one sentence from JFK and a single photograph of a brave people starved for freedom and liberty. The quote:
“Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.”
And the picture:
And if you can’t understand the concept behind that quote, that photo, modern Germany, Japan, Italy, and even today’s Iraq, the core value of selfless decency is lost upon you.
There… Now I don’t want to “get into politics”.