September 24, 2008
It got to the point a long time ago where we coined a new term, stubris, to describe Obama’s stupidly hubristic words, ideas, and actions. The list is quite long already, and we’re about to add to it:
- Sen. Obama complains about the price of arugula to the common folk.
- Big “O” hand symbol
- Soviet-style glorification posters
- “Vero Possumus” faux Presidential seal
- O-Force 1, the campaign plane with two Obama seals painted on it but only one tiny American flag
- O-Force 1, with the royal throne with “President” embroidered on it
- The “citizen of the world” speech in Berlin
- Grandiose staging with Greek columns for his address to the Democratic Convention
Most of those pale in comparison with the latest. As reported by the Birmingham Post, a small company in Birmingham is making commemorative coins for the ever-optimistic Barack Obama. The obverse of the coins show the profile of Sen. Obama superimposed over an image of the White House. It has not been reported what the reverse will show, but based on past behavior, I have a few ideas:
- Obama with olive branches in one hand and 13 arrows in the other
- Obama in a Roman toga in front of Roman columns
- Obama posed as Rodin’s “Thinker
- Obama holding the world on his shoulders, a la Atlas
- Obama parting the Red Sea
- Michelangelo’s Obama giving the spark of Life to Adam
I’m sure there are other ideas out there. Please share!
August 27, 2008
UPDATE: Ann Althouse beat me to the punch, darn it!
After comments about the price of arugula, the coronation in Berlin (“I am a citizen of the world”), the “Big O” salute, the Soviet-style posters, the Messianic iconography, the “O-Force One” campaign plane (complete with a throne containing his hoped-for title, and his personal logo painted over the American flag on the tail), the ill-considered Vero Possumus slogan, the changing of location of “the speech” from the Pepsi Center to INVESCO Field, and the awesome variety of directional, theatrical, and verbal gaffes too numerous to mention, comes this: Sen. Obama will accept his party’s nomination in a huge sports arena on a stage set like a Greek temple. How very bread-and-circuses of him.
Not even John (“I was born in the West Wing”) Kerry was this out of touch with ordinary Americans.
While it certainly doesn’t speak well for his campaign staff who a) thought it up, b) got it through the hierarchy to be approved, and c) presented it to Sen. Obama as an actual viable idea, it surely does speak volumes about the candidate himself that he’s actually going along with this self-aggrandizing spectacle. In fact, he may see nothing at all out of the ordinary about it. And given everything that has gone before, I guess it should come as no surprise that Obama will have himself crowned king of all Democrats in his Greek temple before 76,000 seats (will they really all be filled?). I guess his acolytes decided that the Pepsi Center with its paltry 20,000 seats just wasn’t grand enough.
Ah, well. It will surely be a spectacle on a truly vast scale. I’m just not sure whether I should pray for rain, or hope for a Spinal Tap moment.
Perhaps I’ll do both.