Now that the dust is settling in the Republican candidate stakes, it looks like Mitt will be our nominee. And I’m fine with that. Really. I am.
After four years of President Downgrade, we will need to do some fast damage control if we hope to regain even a bit of our former standing in the world community. With that in mind, I have several suggestions for actions President Romney can take very soon after he is sworn in:
- Contact someone in England and suggest that, because of the very special relationship that exists between the two countries, we’d really love to have that bust of Churchill back and proudly displayed in the White House.
- Issue an invitation to Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu to a White House state dinner in his honor. Allow him to dine with the guests.
- Ditto the Dalai Lama. Allow him to enter and exit by the front door.
- Make sure there is a fully-staffed Protocol office, and that they actually know what they are doing regarding things like vetting guests at state dinners and choosing special gifts for foreign dignitaries.
- Make sure you know how to pronounce military jargon… like “corpsman”.
- Start practicing now so that you can throw a baseball from the pitcher’s mound across home plate. Bonus points if you don’t wear mom jeans while doing so.
- Call a spade a spade: Drop the stupid “kinetic military action”, “overseas contingency operation”, “man-made disasters”, jargon and call them wars, terrorists, etc.
- From the time of your election to the day of your inauguration, don’t begin your transition using the non-existent position of “Office of the President-Elect”. And definitely don’t design a seal for this non-existent office.
- And please, whatever else you do, when you accept the nomination at the convention, do not fist-bump Ann.
If you can start off your presidency with these few things, you’ll definitely be on the right track. And I’m fine with that. Really. I am.