Liberals never miss a chance to mock and belittle former President George W. Bush. And it didn’t help that he would frequently appear awkward in public, whether it was trying to walk off-stage to a locked door after a Press Conference or get tongue-tied while mixing his metaphors.
Still, there was something genuine about “W” that said to me, “The guy may be flawed, but he’s real and when he tells you something, you know you can take it to the bank.
And there’s something else about “W” that I couldn’t quite put my finger on… but an e-mail circulating has hit the nail on the head. Comparing “W” with Obama, “W” comes off as real. Approachable. Willing to listen as much as he talks. These are all things Obama is NOT.
And here’s a classic case study in contrast. The “Elitist, effete, Obama” compared to… well look for yourself.
Truth in advertising: I’ve modified the text from the e-mail, but just a bit and it’s for emphasis only.
He seems aloof. Of course, Obama supporters pointed out that this was just me being a racist tea-bagger. But judge for yourself:
- Presidential Podium. You don’t expect me to just stand here and talk out in the open, do you? I’m the President, Damn it!
- Presidential rug. Gotta have the rug! It completes the image we’re trying to create here.
- Teleprompters. What am I… supposed to speak candidly with these kids? Of COURSE I want my teleprompter. NOW! Speaking of kids…
- No kids allowed within 20 feet.
- I’ve got my Secret Service Agents to make sure no little school kid comes up to me. Could have a bomb strapped to him, ya know?
- No… no American flag behind me. Thanks.
Notice any differences?
Yeah, me too:
- No Need For Presidential Podium – No special rug necessasry. The Kids will recognize me. If not, their folks will tell them when they get older.
- Teleprompters? No thanks… I’m talking to the kids, not making a campaign speech. ‘
- C’mon, kids – gather around
- Presidential rug” Are you kidding? What kind of egotistical Fop would need to have that when talking to kids?
- Secret Service guy? Where? He’s nearby if I need him.
- Audio system? Got something here at the school I can use? That’ll be fine, thanks
- I’d like to have an American flag behind me. Thanks.
Yeah, I miss him. And I’m not afraid to say it. But I miss Ronald Reagan so much more in these times. Mmm-Mmm-Mmm…